Thursday, October 13, 2011

Talking about...

Blogging...
The boys have discovered my blog.  They love looking through the archives at the pictures of them when they were small.  I read a bit to them the other day and they laughed and giggled and sometimes said "I remember that!"  or "No, I didn't do that!"  lol!  And really that is what my blogging is all about and why I returned to it.  So that years down the road we could enjoy remembering the little things that make up the story of our life...but I don't have to wait years because it is being enjoyed now.  It makes me happy.


Playing...
I enjoy watching the kids play and hearing their imaginations delightfully active.  Duplos are the toy of choice right now.  There are Chinese, Turkish, Indian and South African armies battling it out on my living room floor.  They get on these kicks where they play with one thing constantly.  Do anybody else's kids do this?  Last week it was drawing.  Their drawing is play, because as they draw these elaborate battle scenes (war, again.) there are sound effects and stories to go with each one.  Their drawings are acting out their play.  It is the coolest thing.  I've never seen any other kids draw that way...I know I never did.  I don't know how old kids are when they start to outgrow this kind of play, but I am cherishing it.  It makes me happy.


Breakfasting...
I've been doing a lot of baking recently.  After the kids had been "oatmealed to death" I needed to come up with other breakfast options that were A. Yummy and B. Still fit in the budget.  So besides the granola bar recipe I make I've come to rely on quick breads...corn bread, banana bread, pumpkin bread, apple bread, zuchinni bread... so many varieties nobody gets burnt out.  They're quick and easy to mix up, pop it in the oven and then I'm free to change diapers, nurse babies or check Facebook while waiting for the timer to ding.  No standing at the stove like with eggs or pancakes.  Whole wheat flour and halving the sugar make them more of a sweet bread and less of a desserty cake.  (Desserty is a word, right?) Although I did learn this morning to keep and eye on the oven temperature.  One of my sweet daughters turned the knob up to 550 degrees...successfully giving the zuchinni bread a nice crispy black top. *oops* Another benefit of early baking is the oven heats up the house nicely on these chilly fall mornings.  And that makes me happy too.


And because Morgan noticed his missing snow picture and said that it made him sad
here it is...

No comments: